Did you know the best thing you can do for your scar is protect it from the sun? Sun exposure can darken the appearance of your scar, which can make your scar more noticeable. Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 can help you prevent sunburn while making your scar less noticeable, which lets you leave the doubts behind so the real you can shine through. Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 is clinically shown to reduce discoloration and improve overall appearance, softness, and texture of scars.1 Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 is effective on older and newer scars. It works for many types of scars, including acne scars, surgery scars, and scars from burns, cuts, and other injuries. And it's from the #1 doctor2 - and pharmacist3 - recommended brand for scars.
- 1. Draelos, Z., The ability of onion extract gel to improve the cosmetic appearance of post surgical scars, Cosmetic Dermatology, June 2008.
- 2. IMS Health, NDTI, December 2013.
- 3. Pharmacy Times and U.S. News & World Report, OTC Guide, June 2013.
Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 should be evenly applied and gently massaged into the scar 3 times daily until fully absorbed for 8 weeks on newer scars and 3-6 months on older scars. Begin using Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 as soon as new skin has formed, typically two or more weeks after the injury or surgery. Make sure the scab has come off naturally and any stitches have been removed. On older scars you may start using Mederma® immediately. Do not apply to broken skin.
Results take time
Don't get discouraged if you do not notice results right away. Generally, Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 users start to see noticeable improvement after about 4 weeks of daily usage, with optimum improvement in 8 weeks.
Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 is available in a 20 gram tube. Look for it in the first aid aisle.
For use as a sunscreen:
- Apply 15 minutes before sun exposure
- Reapply at least every 2 hours
- Children under 6 months: Ask a doctor
- Use a water-resistant sunscreen if swimming or sweating
To view full Drug Facts and Product Ingredients, click here.
- Skin Cancer/Skin Aging Alert: Spending time in the sun increases your risk of skin cancer and early skin aging. This product has been shown only to help prevent sunburn, not skin cancer or early skin aging.
- For external use only
- Do not use on damaged or broken skin.
- When using this product keep out of eyes. Rinse with water to remove.
- Stop use and ask a doctor if rash occurs.
- Keep out of reach of children. If product is swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 could discolor delicate fabrics such as silk, leather, suede, and others.
- What is Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30?
- Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 helps protect scars from sunburn with SPF 30, while helping reduce the appearance of old and new scars. Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 is clinically shown to improve the color, texture and overall appearance of scars.
- Are results guaranteed?
- Yes. If you have been using Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 for at least 8 weeks and you’re not happy with your results, you can return the unused portion to the store for a full refund. If you have any problems with your return, call us at 1-888-925-8989 and we’ll make sure you get 100% of your money back.
- Who should use Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30?
- Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 is safe for anyone over 6 months of age with an old or new scar. Children under 6 months old should have a doctor’s approval. Some people may be sensitive to its ingredients, so if you experience swelling, scar discoloration or severe itching, stop using Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 immediately. If symptoms persist, contact your doctor.
- Where can I find Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30?
- To find a retailer in your area that carries Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30, or to purchase online, visit the Where to Buy page. Be sure to look in the first aid aisle.
- Does Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 make scars disappear?
- No product can make scars disappear completely. But Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 can help them appear softer, smoother, and less noticeable.
- My Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 box says, “do not use on open wounds.” At what point is my wound considered completely closed?
- A wound is completely closed when the scab falls off or the stitches are removed. You can begin to use Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 as soon as there is no visible scab where the wound occurred or your stitches have been removed. While there is still a scab or stitches present, keep the wound clean and covered – this will speed healing time and help reduce the appearance of the resulting scar.
- Can I use Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 with other products and medicines?
- You can safely use Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 with other cosmetic products like lotions and makeup. However, Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 works best when it can be easily absorbed into the skin, so it’s best to apply when your skin is clean and then allow time for it to dry before applying other products. Please consult your healthcare professional before using Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 with other topical (on the skin) products that you purchase with a prescription.
- If I use Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 on my face to treat acne scars, will it cause me to break out?
- Everyone’s skin reacts differently to new products. Your best bet is to test Mederma® on a small part of your chest or back to see if you have a reaction to the product. If you do not have a reaction, you can then use it on scars as you see fit.
- What does SPF 30 mean?
- SPF means for "sun protection factor," and it specifically indicates protection against the ultraviolet B (UVB) rays that primarily cause sunburn. The number is a relative measure of the amount of sunburn protection provided by sunscreens. So the higher the number, the more protection is provided. SPF does not inform us about the time that can be spent in the sun without getting sunburn, as that is affected by skin type, time of day, and amount applied.1
- What is Cepalin®?
- Cepalin® is the proprietary botanical extract in all Mederma® products. It’s part of the Mederma® formula that works to improve the overall appearance, texture, and color of scars.
- What happens if I miss an application of Mederma® Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 on my scar?
- For the best results on your scar, you should try to apply your Mederma® 3 times daily as directed. If you miss applications frequently, it will take longer to see results. If you’re concerned about forgetting to use it regularly, sign up for the Mederma® reminder program. It’s a great resource for the forgetful and the diligent alike to be sure you keep up with your Mederma® applications, and it offers new tips and facts about skin and scars.
- 1. "Sun Protection Factor (SPF)." FDA.gov. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Accessed Sept 24, 2013.
If you would like to rate this product, use the stars beneath the product image shown above.
Investigator and subject assessments revealed the cream significantly improved the softness, redness, texture, and overall appearance of scars over the course of 8 weeks.1
Subject Assessment of Overall Appearance of Treated Scars Weeks 2-81
- 1. Draelos, Z., A Comparison of Onion Extract Gel With Onion Extract Cream for the Improvement of the Appearance of Postsurgical Scars. March 2009. Poster presented at the 2009 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology.